Friday, December 14, 2007

In the Garden of my Mind

We've had quite a bit of snow up here in Spokane. Mostly I've just peered at it through the window enjoy the comfort of my heated home. However, I knew I was really missing out on quite a few photo opportunities. So I grabbed my bag of lenses and went out to find something. Out here in Spokane, when in doubt, you can always head to Manito park. Unfortunately, the Japanese gardens is closed for the season, but I found something, possibly better.

I had a second motive as well. Within the coming New Year, I'll be in the market for a professional mid range zoom, and I've been struggling with the decision between the extremely popular 17-55mm 2.8, and the infamous 28-70mm 2.8, aka "The Beast". Part of my difficulty is the fact that the 17-55 is a DX lens, and I plan to purchase an old film camera as well next year. The chief issue with the 28-70 is it is critiqued as just not being wide enough on an DSLR with a smaller than FF sensor. However, my feeling on it is if you want to take wide angle photos, then perhaps it would be best to buy a dedicated wide angle lens such as the well regarded 12-124mm DX or slightly cheaper Sigma 10-20mm. Of course if you have $1800 to shell out, there's always the newly released Nikon 14-24 which is a full frame lens, and will probably fully deplete your bank account.

I made my decision on the 28-70 today when out taking photos in that the widest image I took was at 26, which I later cropped anyway.

1 comment:

Rachel Schell said...

well boo! you shoot Nikon. :P

I would have to agree when you say that if you want wide angle you should get a true wide angle lens. I had the Canon 10-22mm before I got a full frame sensor and I loved that lens. It's full frame replacement is the 17-40mm f/4, but I'm saving up for the 16-35mm f/2.8. I do love the Canon 24-70mm f/2.8 though, my fiance owns that lens. it's magic on full frame.

my lenses of choice.

17-40mm f/4 for landscapes
100mm f/2.8 macro for portraits

but it is great to have that 24-70mm range when you don't want to haul a bunch of lenses around with you.