This is a technique I had done in my More to come! post with the Christmas tree shaped bokeh. A few individuals were curious how I achieved the affect. It's actually a rather simple technique, to which can be found here. In short, you are creating a new lens hood with the shape of the bokeh you want. Trick to it is the outline has to be smaller than your aperture opening, which is why primes work so well since they usually have a very large aperture.
This was something I had been interested in doing for some time, but it's unfortunately along the cliché list of things to photograph like smoke, silhouettes, etc. To me, there is an essential trick to interesting photography, and that is to show people something they can theoretically see at any time, but in a way they've never seen it before, would think to look at it that way. Quite simply, it is the art of making the ordinary, extraordinary. For the photo of the ring, though it is not something you would normally see, for many photographers it is something they had done before, and to change that, I simply made it the opposite of...a negative image.
Another way to add creativity to your images is to simply change your perspective. We walk about and see the world the same way every day, but when suddenly put in a perspective we are not used to seeing, something unique is achieved. Photography like macro photos gain a huge boon with this, as most macro photos are instantly interesting due to the fact that more often than not it captures not only something that we don't normally see, but in many cases, can't see.
A good tip that was given to me was when I found something interesting to photograph was to not photograph it in the position I found it, but to move around and find different angles to take it. The position I found it in, quite often is the way anyone else would walk up to it, and as such would lose a lot of interestingness. Move about, get down low, get high, try landscape and portrait orientations and take as many different pictures as possible, use the rule of thirds, break the rule of thirds etc. It is only to trial and experimentation can we discover what we truly like, and with the advent of digital photography, this is far easier as we can instantly see the fruits of our labor, as well as not worry about the cost of developing film.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



1 comment:
Hi Mik,
Thanks for the note about the Bokeh piece from my site.
The shadow/ring thing is awesome.
- Udi
Post a Comment