Tuesday, December 18, 2007

2008 Predictions by Thom Hogan

Thom over at Bythom has made his Nikon predictions for 2008. He mentions the predictions from 2006 that he made about to include the Full Frame D3 and the 24-70, albeit he said it would be a VR model. I don't see a new for VR in non telephoto lenses, but of course it couldn't hurt to have it.

For 2008 he predicts a replacement for the D80, and surprisingly even a replacement for the D40/D40x. I find it surprising as DSLR usually have a 2 year product life before replacement, and the D40/x has barely been out a year. Then again, considering how quickly an X model was brought out for the D40, it could very well be possible.

Of interesting note, he not only believes that Nikon won't come out with a smaller size FX body, similar to Canon's 5D, but believes that the DX format will prosper for years to come. Part of this goes to Nikon being busy with the D3, as well as the DX theoretically being at its resolution limit until about 34mp. Looking at the sizes of the uncompressed raw images from the D300 (25mb a pop!) I can't find a need or desire for that many MP. Most consumers don't need over 6 to get good 8x10 prints, though opponents to that will contend the need for cropping power. The pro response to that would simply be to get the shot right the first time, but I'm no pro!

No comments: