Sunday, October 28, 2007

D3 vs D300? Duuuuuh

I love reading all the D3 vs D300 thread I've been seeing cropping up on Flickr recently. Really, Nikon has moved to the forefront with their move to release two very amazing cameras in the near future. However, it goes without saying that the images coming from the D3 are nothing short of revolutionary, especially the high iso examples, changing the foundation of what was thought not possible before. But at $5000 a pop that just comes with the camera alone (don't you dare ask about a pop up flash), there should never be a question in mind about comparing it to an obviously lesser camera that is catered to a far different market. You have an industry need for it, or a personal desire for it. 99% of the thread starters are in the latter camp. I've even seen someone lamenting that his 18-200 VR will only work in cropped mode if he were to purchase the D3. Oh the folly! To get a little geeky on you and quote a Star Wars Jedi Master "Do or do not...there is no try".

For the industry leaders and professionals, they will most likely pick up 2; one as a back up camera. For all the rest, if your pocket books can afford it, by all means, go for it. Just please do yourself a favor; of that 5 grand you just blew, invest in some professional glass. I'll have to lay the hand of smack down if I see someone walking around with a D3 and a 18-55 lens.

Images from the rest of us mere mortals:

Glass on Glass

Glass on Glass

Peaches...Patches?

Peaches...Patches?

Second Spring

No comments: