With the first real snow of the season comes the oppurtunity to photograph the world in a different light. The landscape becomes wrapped in a soft, gentle, white blanket, though only briefly before it fades away to the passing wind. However, to get out there, requires a bit of motivation. In short...it's cold. Of course it is always best to dress warmly when venturing out, and even better to actually have a plan while out there so that the least amount of time is spent in the frigid locales.
The idea for this came when I went out the first time, and found myself capturing nothing of interest (mostly due to my unwillingness to go far). It was near 3 in the morning and I wanted to convey how cold it was. I remembered a light painting tutorial I saw recently on DIYPhotography, and the idea came quickly afterwards. You may have seen light painting popularized recently with some Sprint Ads.
A few notes about light painting. First, it is just that: painting with light. Using a flashlight, pen light or some other pointing device, you set a rather long shutter speed on a tripod mounted camera and paint light on a surface, or towards the camera itself. Requires some experimentation, but the effects can be quite unique. Word of advice, if you want to spell a word, it has to be spelled backwards. My first attempt got me the world DOLC.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment